Friday, February 1, 2013

Touring blogs for the wi...I mean, The End

Well, I agreed to do this blog tour thing regarding The End, which is totally rocking the Amazon charts right now. #1 in free anthologies is awesome, so let's keep it that way.

In case you needed extra enticement, here's an excerpt from one of the stories, "Empty Nest" by R. F. Dickson.

The seismographic station in Kilima Mbogo in southern Kenya detected it first, its needle beginning to scratch away shortly before midnight GMT. Minutes later, the Mt. Furi station in Ethiopia chimed in, followed by Ar Rayn in the Saudi peninsula and Mbarara in Uganda. Madagascar’s Ambohimpanompo station burst to life, Lusaka piped up in Zambia, and even Boshof perked up and brought South Africa to the party. Weaker activity was detected in Ankara, in Kabul, in Masuku. Across the globe, bleary-eyed seismologists roused from their beds and conferred with colleagues who’d been up all night monitoring the outbursts. They hurriedly examined the data pouring in from Africa, and determined Mother Earth was quite possibly gathering up for something big.
 
Actually, she was just clearing her throat.
 
“Hello?” her voice boomed from the East African Rift, shattering windows as far away as the East Coast of the United States, and sending tsunamis hurtling through the Indian Ocean to mercilessly pound the western end of Australia. “Oh my goodness,” she said somewhat more quietly, like an old grandmother who’d just spilled her tea. “It’s been so long, I’d forgotten what I sound like.” Despite her restraint, this utterance triggered avalanches in the Alps and the Himalayas. “Dear me, I guess I’ll have to whisper,” she said, this time with far less catastrophic results, only a few minor landslides up and down the length of the Rift. “Is there someone in charge I might possibly speak with?”

Talk about miscommunication. This section got my attention, because the mental picture of Mother Earth as a sweet old lady who causes massive earthquakes simply by talking is just the right blend of absurdity to make me laugh out loud.

Well, as you might expect, you can check it out on Amazon, Smashwords, B&N, or your other e-book retailer of choice. (I think I've linked at least one of those before, but I'll do it again here.)

Oh, and for the curious, here's the people who did the blog tour so far:
Nila White (http://nilaewhite.wordpress.com/2013/01/21/blog-tour-the-end/)
Michael J. Sullivan (http://www.riyria.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-end-visions-of-apocalypse-free.html)
Wilson Geiger (http://www.wilsongeiger.com/blog-tour-the-end-visions-of-apocalypse/)

Enjoy The End, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. That was our sweetest story of the bunch. I'm glad you highlighted it. So much more hopeful than the rest of 'em!

    Thanks for participating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words! I'd lost track of the blog tour and have been spending the morning catching up. It's been great to see the authors all having different stories that jumped out for them. That means we managed to include a little something for everyone!

    ReplyDelete